Wednesday, February 9, 2011

intensive class...

Hello,
Monday, we had a test to place us in classes. I am in the self proclaimed "dumb group" which I think will be very good for me. Yesterday, we had a "city tour" but it was a big disappointment because we stayed on the bus the whole time while the beautiful downtown flew by at lightning speed. Eventually we got off the bus and did a tiny tour of another university, where we examined the graffiti that is painted on EVERYTHING by the more radical young people...After the tour, I experienced the Argentine take on pizza; it's actually quite nice. There is minimal sauce, and lots of fresh tasting herbs (which I'm loving), and the cheeses here are sooo good. One girl described the cheese on this particular pizza as being "like butter" (in a good way). I'm eating so well here; my family doesn't eat breakfast, which is taking some getting used to, but they have big lunches around 1pm, snacks around 5pm, and then dinner around 9:15pm...They think I don't eat anything, but I do! They just give me really well balanced meals that satisfy me after only a few bites! For example, two nights ago I was given vegetable soup, salad, an eggplant patty with cheese, AND potatoes- of course I couldn't eat it all! I'm really enjoying my family, we don't interact that much because I'm not here a whole lot, but they are being very patient and I'm adjusting to their accents well. Last night, we got a little group together to have a casual drink on one of the main streets near my house. The bar was called "Johnny B. Goods" and we decided that it's probably the most American bar here, so we don't want to go back. If anyone is wanting to come to Argentina, be warned that they do not split checks, so have cash handy! Right now in class, we are doing little speaking which is frustrating, but we really only have had one session so I'm assuming it will get better! The weather is beginning to change, it's not that warm anymore especially because these past few days have been dreary and gray. I tried to go for a run yesterday, the first one in over a week and it was sooo painful. The temperature wasn't scorching, but the humidity had to be around 1 million percent so that didn't help AT ALL.
Anyways, I swear I'll post some pictures soon------more later

xx

1 comment:

  1. Hey, "dumb groups" can be a good thing in that they may give you a firmer foundation. I've no doubt you'll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete