Monday, February 21, 2011

tour update

We were whisked away to another estancia, but this one was an old Jesuit mission. The guide ran us through at warp speed, and even after we asked her to slow down four times, I probably only caught 1/4 of what she said! It was interesting, but I won't be able to show proof that I was there because cameras were prohibited. The mission was set up by Jesuits in some century a loong time ago in order to convert the indigenous people (the Sanvirones). The building we visited was only occupied by the three Jesuit priests and was serviced by black slaves (funny how they were hurting one race while helping another). After we learned about the different ways they practically threatened the indigenous peoples into converting, we left to hang out at a sporting complex. Basically, I just hung around and tried to sleep for 3 hours because I didn't have very good shoes to play soccer... and also, the people playing were so intense I'm sure they appreciated my sitting out. There was a pool but it was no more than 74 degrees with a strong wind to look forward after getting out. Saturday night, one of the tutors from the University had a fiesta at his house which was soooo nice! There was a basketball court, and a pool, and a separate cabana for the party. I'm pretty sure there was a dj there also, how legit.
Friday night, I had planned on going to bed super early, but my tutor, Maru, invited me to come have dinner at her house. I managed to hop on the correct bus, but also managed to hop off at the incorrect stop! I wasn't too worried though so I just kept walking, hoping to find a street that looked familiar. Soon enough, I recognized "Av. General Paz" and made the decision to turn there. After a few blocks, I was still a little unsure so I stopped and asked a policeman who congratulated me on being a mere three blocks from my destination! Cheers for good instincts, right? There was a bit of a snafu when the other girl she tutors never showed up (and doesn't have a cell phone), but we enjoyed dinner anyway! I didn't get home until 2 or 2:30 which was most excellent considering I had to wake up at 7:30 Saturday for the tour, but I'm really glad I went. Maru is 24 and her boyfriend Daniel is 30 and they are such a cute little couple! Daniel is from Peru, and he likes Boyz II Men and a lot of other older R&B groups which I found really hilarious. In case anyone was wondering, they don't really like Justin Bieber here, probably because of his hair!

K, gotta run, more pictures later today!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Bieber, a lock of his hair was just sold on ebay for 40k. Elvis' only went for 15k. Can you imagine? And to think I've got locks of yours & Emma's hair that no amount of money could make me part (no pun intended) with (priceless).

    ReplyDelete